Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Breakfast for One


Visions of being the Beaver's mom rise up to make me feel guilty once again.....a perfectly set breakfast table,
                                                     for two.

Scrumptious weekend breakfasts I usually manage,
sometimes a blogworthy breakfast table......though usually
something like our vitamins and daily pills lurk,
                                                    unnoticed.

Weekday breakfasts? A pretty table for two? 
                                                   Get real.

Both of us sitting down together at the same time? 
                                                    Not likely.

Both of us eating the same menu? 
                                                  
His quick cooked oatmeal or fried baloney sandwich?
               Gag to the second and where oatmeal is concerned,
I am most particular...steel cut oats sautéd in butter and at last boiling water stirred in, cooked at least 20 minutes,
cinnamon, chopped dried apricots and walnuts added...
                                                     That's oatmeal.

For breakfasts I last longer when an egg is on my plate,
the egg sandwich Mama used to make me at the very least.

But my weekday breakfast indulgence happens when RH leaves me a sausage patty from his early breakfast...
                             from locally made Jake's country sausage.



A toasted sourdough English muffin from the Publix deli,
          the sausage on top,
                      a scrambled egg next,
                              a smear of mashed avocado
                                  topped with chopped jalapeno.

A side of fresh pineapple, please.

Breakfast for one, on the sofa, dogs sitting by me...
                                                   hoping a crumb will drop.

TV remote in my hand, no cable news, no news at all,
              no talk shows.

HGTV on, something I can walk away from shortly and
                        not become mesmerized, hypnotized,
                               energy zapped...
                                         temper rising.

That's a perfect weekday breakfast for me.


What about you?

Join me in your jammies and tell me
what your perfect breakfast for one is.

Please. Pretty please with sugar on it?



"My wife and I tried two or three times in the last
forty years to have breakfast together,
but it was so disagreeable we had to stop."
Winston Churchill





            

2 comments:

  1. LOLOL! how I love Churchill! that humor and wit. they just don't make his kind anymore. the leader with the courage of a lion. (which I read ages ago)
    wasn't it titled 'the Lion' ??? I thought so anyway.
    I have been having kind of an unusual breakfast of oatmeal.
    I put 1/2 c of steel cut oats and 1/2 cup of water (or almond milk)
    actually I like it with the water. I cover the little mason jar and leave it in the fridge.
    the next morning I just stir it and put it into a cereal bowl with a little Earth Balance margarine and heat it in the microwave for about 1.50 seconds and YUM! I add fresh fruit on the side. (don't necessarily like it in the oats. but I have ever added about a tsp of apple butter. that's lovely!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I typed a reply to you, Tam, but on my phone and it disappeared! And it was a lovely reply! This one is short and uninspired. But I'm sure your breakfast is much more healthy than mine above. Oh well.

      Delete